Office for Teacher Candidate Preparation (OTCP)
New Mexico Teacher Assessments
Secondary Teacher Candidates are required to TAKE and PASS the following New Mexico Teacher Assessments (NMTA).
- New Mexico Assessment of Teacher Basic Skills (01)
- Contents Knowledge Assessments (per teaching field / content area / endorsement)
- Language Arts (12)
- Reading (13)
- Mathematics (14)
- Science (15)
- History, Geography, Economics, Civics and Government (16)
- French (18)
- German (19)
- Spanish (20)
- Music (21)
- Visual Arts (22)
- Family & Consumer Sciences (27)
- Health Education (28)
- Physical Education (29)
- Library/Media (30)
- TESOL: Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (31)
- New Mexico Assessment of Teacher Competencies – Secondary (04)
For more information on NMTA please go to the NMPED Website.
Teacher Candidates seeking an additional endorsement in Bilingual Education MUST contact the testing center at Eastern New Mexico University for information on the New Mexico Spanish Language Proficiency Exam (Prueba de Espanol).
See the Teacher Candidate Timelines for specific Teacher Education Program guidance with non-negotiable time periods.