Master of Arts in Education, Concentration in Early Childhood Education
Master of Arts in Education with emphasis in Early Childhood Education Program prepares educational leaders and scholars who understand in complex and diverse ways Early Childhood Education, particularly as these relate to all issues of social justice and equity.
The MA in Education with an emphasis in Early Childhood Education is a graduate degree program for persons with a bachelor’s degree in early childhood education or a related field who are already teaching or working in early childhood settings. The MA in Education with an emphasis in Early Childhood Education prepares candidates for positions requiring levels of understanding and performance different than what the candidate already possesses. The advance degree prepares the early childhood professional for advance practice in teacher education, engagement with applied research, staff development, work with families, program management, and engagement in issues analysis and advocacy related to early childhood education.
Delivery method: The Master of Arts in Education in Curriculum and Instruction Early Childhood Education is delivered online using Canvas CE 8 as its integrated e-learning system. We encourage you to review the materials and tutorials found under student resources http://learn.nmsu.edu to become familiar with this e-learning system.
The MA degree program has a minimum of 33 credit hours. The courses are:
- Curriculum and Instruction Core Course Work
- EDUC 515: Multicultural Education
- EDUC 518: Technology and Pedagogy
- EDUC 519: Research in Curriculum and Pedagogy
- EDUC 520: Action Research Projects (prerequisite: EDUC 515, EDUC 518, EDUC 519
- Early Childhood Education Course Work
- ECED 612 History & Philosophy of Early Childhood Education
- BIL 505: The Bilingual Preschool Child
- ECED 510: Issues in Early Childhood Education
- ECED 479: Curriculum in Early Childhood
- RDG 551: Literacy Development in Early Childhood
- ECED 515: Working with Parents of Young Children
- ECED 530: Leadership and Advocacy in EC
All courses for the Master of Arts in Education (C&I/Early Childhood Education) are part of a Graduate Program with the College of Education, Department of Curriculum & Instruction. Students pursuing this degree must complete the application for regular graduate admission and be admitted to the Graduate School prior to taking any courses in this program. For more information, visit http://gradadmissions.nmsu.edu/how-to-apply/.
- Enrollment and acceptance into the College of Education, Department of Curriculum & Instruction Master of Arts in Education (C&I/Early Childhood Education) – see below.
- Minimum of 33 credits are required.
- Transfer Credit: At least 50% of the course work for the degree must be completed through NMSU. Transferred credit must have been earned while enrolled as a graduate student.
Enrollment and acceptance into the College of Education, Department of Curriculum and Instruction Master of Arts in Education in Curriculum and Instruction Early Childhood Education. Submit:
- Application form (please contact Dr. Hannan for a copy of the form (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- GPA 3.0 (unofficial transcripts needed)
- One year of ECE experience (broad interpretation)
- Professional Resume
- Response to essay questions within a maximum total of four pages (word-processed).
- Why do you want to pursue a graduate degree program in ECE?
- What are your strengths and challenges in pursuing a graduate degree?
- What do you plan to do with your MA/ECE emphasis degree?
- Please send your complete application to:
Dr. Juanita M. Hannan
Director of Distance Education
New Mexico State University
P.O. Box 30001, MSC 3DE
Las Cruces, NM 88003
- Participation in orientation session.
- Graduate Early Childhood Education course descriptions (2015-16 Catalog)
- Graduate Teacher Education Program Packet
- Masters Portfolio Handbook
- Join the MA List-serv – allows us to keep you up-dated on important dates & events; go to https://mailman.nmsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/candima and follow the prompts